Claremore Daily Progress

October 21, 2013

Ada fugitive nabbed in Los Angeles

Randy Mitchell Special Correspondent

Ada — A man wanted on an Ada arrest warrant was arrested in Los Angeles and returned to Ada over the weekend.

David Buckley, 30, was wanted for several years on suspicion he assaulted an Ada police officer. Pontotoc County Sheriff John Christian made the 38-hour round-trip drive to California to retrieve Buckley. The cost of the trip — including a hotel stay for Christian prior to taking custody of Buckley — was paid for by a bail bondsman who put up bail for Buckley after his arrest in 2010. Christian said Buckley left Oklahoma and had been living in Los Angeles for the past couple of years, according to Buckley.

Buckley was arrested about two weeks ago in California on suspicion of jaywalking, Christian said.

Buckley was originally arrested in early September 2010 by Ada police. Ada patrolman Jeremy O’Brien said in a report the assault took place at 4:09 a.m. when he questioned two men walking in the 200 block of S. Cherry The men were suspected of being intoxicated — Buckley, then 27, and David Rogers, then 28, both of Ada.

“I pulled up in my unit and asked them how they were doing,” O’Brien wrote in a report. “Both subjects started talking but I really noticed that Rogers appeared to be intoxicated by his speech and movements. Rogers said they were going to (a convenience store) to get some cigarettes for a friend.”

O’Brien said he stepped out of his vehicle and Rogers and Buckley ran away. O’Brien chased the two around a house where they were trying to get in the back door.

“I ordered both subjects to the ground and started to push both of them to the ground,” he said. “Both refused to comply and kept trying to get inside the house.”

O’Brien said he pulled Buckley to the ground and started to grab Rogers when he started swinging at him. He continued to attempt to gain control over both suspects.

“I grabbed Rogers again and he turned quickly and struck me with his arm,” O’Brien said.

He said he had just gained control of Rogers and Buckley when Buckley ran away. O’Brien continued to fight with Rogers.

“I pepper-sprayed Rogers in the face for about two or three seconds,” O’Brien said. “I was able to get Rogers to the ground at which time he grabbed my leg, I felt in an attempt to get me to the ground. I then started to strike Rogers with my flashlight because he had already assaulted me and was now trying to bring me to the ground.”

O’Brien said he was starting to “lose steam” when he finally gained control over Rogers and called 911 dispatch for backup. Rogers was placed in custody and taken to the police station. O’Brien found Buckley hiding in a nearby apartment and arrested him as well.

O’Brien said he felt pain in his knee and was taken by a fellow officer to Valley View Regional Hospital to have X-rays performed.

“Dr. Stafford took X-rays and said he didn’t see anything broken but felt I had damaged my cartilage and/or ligaments in my knee,” O’Brien said.

Rogers and Buckley were arrested on suspicion of public intoxication, destruction of property and assault and battery on a police officer.