Claremore Daily Progress

August 11, 2012

Men sentenced for gun battle and chase

Mark Friedel
Staff Writer


Philip Michael Schrader, 25, and Clifford S. Webb, 28, were sentenced Friday for a gun battle that occurred on April 23, 2011 at the 400 east block of 9th Street in Claremore.
Schrader had additional charges after leading Claremore Police, Verdigris Police and the Rogers County Sheriff’s Department on a pursuit through Rogers County where Schrader opened fire on squad cars.
He was sentenced to 46 years in prison. Webb received a sentence of 39 years.
Early on April 23, Schrader and Wanda Michelle Ward, 25, dropped two residents, Tommy and Brittany Downing, off at the home, said Claremore Investigator John Singer who was called to the stand during the court hearing. 
Schrader pulled a Glock 9mm handgun on the Downings and proceeded to fire, said Singer. There were no injuries.
On the morning of April 25, Webb, Schrader and Ward returned to the home which officers had responded to from reports that shots were being fired.  
Singer’s investigation showed that Webb and Schrader went back to the Downing house where Webb proceeded to open a closed window and then held Tommy and Brittany Downing at gun point, allowing Philip Schrader through a door.
Both attempted to rob them of an X-Box and accompany Tommy Downing to Tulsa to satisfy a drug debt.  
A neighbor called the police, aware of the incident that occurred before.  
An officer arrived and noticed the vehicle fit the description of the one given by the Downings in the shooting attempted nearly two days earlier, said Singer.
The officer, Mark Bailey, attempted to make a traffic stop as the vehicle left the scene near Highway 20. Ward was the driver and Schrader was the passenger.
As Bailey stopped them and exited his squad car, Ward sped away with Schrader, starting a pursuit.  The pursuit went east on Highway 20 and exited the turnpike, heading towards Tulsa then back towards Claremore on SH 66, he said.
Singer said the Claremore Police, Verdigris Police and Rogers County Sheriff’s Department joined to follow the two trying to evade the squad cars.  
The suspects turned right on Flint Road headed due east. During this time, Schrader pulled an AK-47 and fired upon two Claremore Police vehicles and a Verdigris Police vehicle. No officers were hit.
“The pursuit made it to the intersection of Highway 88 and turned back north,” said Singer.  “At this time, Officer Bailey was able to fire his weapon and strike both Schrader and Ward.”
Once the turn occurred on Highway 88, Schrader threw evidence out of the passenger side window, including the AK-47 rifle.
“After he was shot, he began throwing out ammunition as well as the same Glock pistol used 24 hours before,” Singer explained.
Schrader then got out of the car while Ward continued on NH 88 before stopping to surrender to the officers.
With Schrader still missing, hundreds of law enforcement agencies around northeastern Oklahoma set up a perimeter around his home and he was eventually contained and arrested.
Webb was arrested in Tulsa on unrelated charges which allowed Singer to place a hold on him.
Webb, Schrader and Ward were held in Rogers County Jail, all with multiple felony and misdemeanor charges, including shooting with intent to kill and attempting to elude police officers.
Ward’s sentencing will be reported in Tuesday’s edition of the Claremore Daily Progress.