Claremore Daily Progress

September 5, 2012

Claremore man arrested at Owasso QT after stand off

Tom Fink
Staff Reporter

OWASSO — What began Tuesday morning with a home invasion in Owasso ended with the arrest of a Claremore man and his accomplice following a brief stand-off at a convenience store.

Johnnie Little Cook, 34, and Kallie Elaine Watkins, 24, were booked into Tulsa County Jail late Tuesday, following allegations of multiple crimes committed in Rogers and Tulsa Counties.
According to Owasso Police Department reports, Owasso police received a call for assistance from the Rogers County Sheriff’s office early Tuesday morning.
Deputies were seeking assistance regarding a suspect who was pulling his vehicle into the QuikTrip near US 20 and Highway 169 in Owasso.
The vehicle, a red truck, matched the description of one which had previously been reported as stolen in Rogers County and  officers verified as stolen shortly after arrival at the QT, according to the police report.
Deputies told Owasso officers that the suspects, Johnnie Little Cook of Claremore and Kallie Elaine Watkins of Tulsa, had driven into a home in Rogers County early Tuesday morning, fled the scene  and reportedly broke into another house, stealing the vehicle with which they fled to Owasso. 
Residents of the second home had reported a home invasion, saying someone had “broken in their back door, stolen their laptop, camera, purse, wallet, truck and other items,” according to the report.
Shortly after arrival at the scene, Owasso police took Watkins into custody, but Cook barricaded himself inside the men’s restroom of the convenience store, despite repeated orders (by officers and deputies) to surrender  himself.
From inside the restroom, Cook warned officers to “get back” telling them he “had a gun,” but after reinforcements arrived, Owasso officers and  deputies entered the bathroom to find the suspect on the top of a stall and “holding a syringe with an unknown liquid substance inside,” according to the police report.
Officers then used a “Less Lethal Launcher” and deployed a bean bag round into the leg of the suspect, followed by the deployment of pepper spray, after which, he surrendered himself.
Cook was transported to St. John Medical Center in Owasso for evaluation and decontamination where he remained in  intensive care, based on the high level of drugs suspected to be in his system, according to police.
Both suspects were eventually transported to Tulsa County Jail where Cook was booked on three charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, possession of CD scheduled I II (drugs), possession of stolen property, possession of stolen vehicle, resisting arrest, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Watkins was booked on possession of stolen property, possession of stolen vehicle and drug possession (first offense).