Claremore Daily Progress

Government

April 26, 2013

Chamber opposes 1-cent tax renewal

Board asks commmissioners to reconsider the road tax

CLAREMORE —

The Claremore Chamber of Commerce board voted this week to oppose the renewal of the Rogers County 1-cent road tax extension on May 14.
The chamber’s position maintains the proposed tax renewal does not address key economic growth concerns for the county and within the City of Claremore at this time, according to the chamber’s official statement.
However, their position on the tax renewal does not preclude support of a “more equitable constructed road tax” in the future, according to the board. The chamber is requesting the commissioners consider a reduction in the tax percentage to lower the overall sales tax rate in Rogers County.
Rogers County tax among highest
Rogers County currently has one of the highest county sales tax rates in northeast Oklahoma at 1.833 percent — compared to surrounding counties including Tulsa at .85 percent,  Mayes at 1.375 percent, Washington at one percent and Wagoner at 1.3 percent.
At 2 percent, only Craig and Nowata counties have a higher rate than Rogers County.
The county rate is just a portion of the overall rate, depending on the place a purchase is made.
County, city and sales tax rates combined create the total sales tax paid by citizens. 
The state rate is 4.5 percent when added to the Rogers County rate the total is 6.33 percent. 
All purchases made outside of Claremore will  pay at the “county” rate.
However, the City of Claremore has a rate of 3 percent, so all purchases made in the city limits would be require the 6.33 percent “county” rate plus 3 percent for the city at a total of 9.33 percent.
Claremore’s sales tax rate of 3 percent is most common among municipalities.
Pryor and Collinsville are at 3.75 percent. Catoosa’s rate is 3.25 percent and Tulsa 3.167 percent — the closest cities to exceed Claremore’s rate. 
If the tax is not renewed the county’s rate will drop to the lowest rate at .833 percent among these counties.

Text Only
Government
  • Local attorneys fight to eliminate judgment

    Claremore attorneys — Thomas H. Williams and Jack E. Gordon Jr. —   filed a petition Tuesday to vacate the $27.9 million judgment awarded to Material Service Corp. 

    April 18, 2014

  • Rogers County Water Dist. 16 receives grant

    Rogers County Rural Water District No. 16 received a $24,999 grant Tuesday to help finance expansion of the district’s water supply infrastructure.  

    April 18, 2014

  • Grand Jury recesses until June 24

    The multicounty grand jury charged with investigating accusations of misconduct by Rogers County officials recessed Thursday until June 24-26, saying it needed to hear from more witnesses before returning a finding in the matter.

    April 17, 2014

  • Rogers County audit cover Oversight committee organized

    Rogers County Commission Chairman Dan DeLozier, Dist. 1, held a meeting Friday with county officials  to discuss ways of addressing deficiencies found in the recent 2011 and 2012 county audit reports.

    April 13, 2014 1 Photo

  • New Share the Spirit President Commissioners to discuss audit information

    While no audit information was addressed during a regular Rogers County Commissioners meeting Monday, plans for an upcoming public hearing were mentioned.

    April 9, 2014 1 Photo

  • State of the County - Elected officials host town hall forum

    Several Rogers County elected officials met Tuesday night in Chelsea to address citizens during the first State of the County informal town hall meetings.

    March 13, 2014

  • Courthouse security discussions continue

    The Rogers County Commissioners will discuss courthouse security Monday continuing the debate regarding key card access to secure areas.

    March 9, 2014

  • County gives attorneys key card access

    Rogers County Commissioners set a $20 fee for attorneys Monday to access secure areas of the courthouse.

    February 25, 2014

  • Council tables stormwater exemption issue

    Before a standing-room only crowd, the Claremore City Council voted Monday to table an ordinance amending the new Stormwater System Service Charge.

    February 19, 2014

  • Bump repair closes Akin Road

    Rogers County District 1 will close Akin Road at 6:30 a.m. today until Friday to repair a bump in the roadway.

    February 19, 2014