It was just another day for Mike Alexander.
An ordinary day.
The Claremore man kissed his wife good-bye before heading into work early that morning, pulling into the AXH parking lot and taking his usual spot before busying himself with his daily labors as the lead man in the drills area.
But as it turned out, it would be a day Alexander — and those around him — would never forget.
“It was probably around 9:30 a.m. or so — I don’t think it was 10:00 yet,” recalled Shawn Porter, AXH employee. “I’d just turned around to pick up a tool and I saw Mike go down — he hit the ground and he hit it hard — I wasn’t sure what was going on, so I ran over to him and saw he was turning blue — he looked bad — really bad.”
Bad was the word for it as it turned out that Alexander was suffering a major heart attack, right in front of Porter’s eyes and the eyes of his other coworkers.
“I yelled to one of the lead personnel over the header department, Jay (Katon) to call 911 and our first responders,” Porter said. “That got the ball rolling and it wasn’t long before I saw Jamie show up — that was kind of a relief, but by then, I could tell that Mike wasn’t breathing.”
The “Jamie” of which Porter is referring is Jamie Lewis, maintenance supervisor at AXH, but also a first responder and volunteer fireman for the Northwest Rogers County Fire Protection District.
AXH Air-Coolers General Manager James Lynch explains:
“Early on in our company’s history, we knew it was important to have people here who weren’t just quality employees trained to do a specific job, but to have those who were also trained and competent in things such as CPR and emergency response,” Lynch said. “As such, we’ve always encouraged and provided our employees training in life-saving techniques and we’re blessed to not only have those who are, but to have two employees — Jamie Lewis and Jeremy Wells — who are themselves volunteer firemen and first-responders.”
Lewis picks up the story:
“I was in the maintenance shop, doing purchase orders when (employee) Terry (Wilson) called me on the radio and told me what was happening, telling me not to walk, but run to the scene,” Lewis said. “Once I got to Mike, I checked his ABC’s — airway, breathing, and circulation — and found him without a pulse and not to be breathing, so I immediately starting administering CPR, doing chest compressions — this was probably about two minutes after he went down.
“Even so, he wasn’t responding, so I called for Jeremy and he arrived on the scene about the same time Jay (Katon) brought the AED,” he said.
The AED — an automated external defibrillator — is a compact, portable electronic device which automatically diagnoses potentially life-threatening cardiac arrhythmia and is able to treat them through defibrillation (the application of electrical therapy to halt arrhythmia), allowing the heart to re-establish an effective rhythm.
“After the first shock (from the AED), Mike still wasn’t responding, so I resumed chest compressions, and starting doing some breaths (a first-responder technique commonly referred to as “mouth-to-mouth resuscitation”),” Lewis said. “After another minute, the AED was ready again, so we put it on Mike again and the second application ‘jump-started’ his heart — his color started coming back, I started getting a pulse, and he started breathing on his own — it saved his life.”
How did Lewis feel when he saw Alexander breathing on his own again?
“Words can’t describe it — it was awesome,” he said, nearly inarticulate at the recollection of the moment. “It was ...it was beyond awesome.”
It was after this that the Claremore Fire Department and Pafford EMS arrived on the scene and took over, taking Alexander to Claremore Regional Hospital where he was stabilized before later being transported to Southcrest Hospital in Tulsa.
From there, Alexander began his recovery — being visited by Lynch and several other AXH co-workers during his stay — before being released home to recuperate with the help of wife, Beth.
“I really don’t remember much about that morning, other than what I was told,” Alexander said. “I’ve worked at AXH for more than six years, starting not long after they opened (in Claremore) and have seen the company grow and go through a lot of changes in that time.
“One thing that has never changed, though, is their emphasis on safety and the well-being of their employees,” he continued. “I was told when I went down, the response of my fellow employees was immediate — not to take anything away from the paramedics or the hospitals or anyone else, they all saved my life, but I’m especially proud of my coworkers, Jamie (Lewis) in particular — without them, I wouldn’t be here today.”
Lynch reports that Alexander is recovering “very well” and is scheduled to return to modified work next week.
“This (experience) has only reinforced how important it is for people to be prepared, to be trained to step up and know how to help their fellow employees or anyone in need, really,” Lynch said. “We were very blessed — the right people were there at the right time with the right training and the right equipment —everyone came to Mike’s aid and did their part — it was a real team effort. Things could have gone so much differently, but they didn’t — our people knew how to deal with the situation and as a result, Mike’s still with us — I’d call that a miracle.”
AXH Air Coolers encompasses the entire spectrum of air-coolers from initial thermal design and application through mechanical engineering, design drafting, project management and after market support. With the largest single manufacturing facility in the industry of more than 200,00 square feet, AXH employees pride themselves on providing high quality products coupled with “on time” delivery.
Recently, AXH added a second plant in the Verdigris Industrial Park of 50,000 square feet.
It was just another day for Mike Alexander.
Kansas records death from rare infection
Kansas health officials say a person from the Kansas City area has died of a rare infection caused by an amoeba that lives in freshwater lakes and rivers.
FDA weighs cancer risk of fibroid removal devices
Federal health advisers say there is little to no evidence that a popular technique for removing fibroids can be performed without the risk of spreading undetected cancers to other parts of the body.
Claremore Indian Hospital’s maternity care honored
The Oklahoma State Department of Health says Claremore Indian Hospital has been designated a “Baby Friendly” hospital for its maternity care.
Accused oral surgeon to talk with Okla. board
The Tulsa oral surgeon at the center of a public health scare involving thousands of his patients is to talk with state Dentistry Board executives by the week’s end.
MAP: Flu continues to spread throughout country
According to the Center for Disease Control's latest FlueView, influenza activity continues to increase in the United States and most of the country is now experiencing high levels of illness. The CDC continues to recommend influenza vaccination for people who have not yet been vaccinated as early as possible.
Autumn Wood brings ‘dedicated’ Alzheimer’s care to Claremore
Beginning Nov. 1, Autumn Wood Memory Care will give Alzheimer’s and dementia patients the opportunity to receive long-term care in Claremore.
Claremore support group to walk Oct. 15 for White Cane Safety
The Claremore Support Group for People with Visual Impairments invites the public to walk with their members in downtown Claremore to promote White Cane Safety Awareness Day on Monday, Oct. 15.
Rogers County RX Task Force building memorial wall
Friday was International Drug Overdose Awareness Day.
No confirmed West Nile Virus in Rogers County
Recent reports of the West Nile Virus in Pittsburg and Tulsa Counties may have some worried, but no cases of WNV have been no confirmed in Rogers County, according to Rogers County Health Department officials
Claremore Regional getting new name
Change is coming to Claremore. Claremore Regional Hospital has announced it will unveil its new name during an invitation-only event March 6.
- More Health Headlines
- Kansas records death from rare infection