Permit required for shooting fireworks in Claremore
Mark Friedel Staff Reporter
In 2008, Claremore City Council members passed an ordinance allowing for fireworks to be discharged inside city limits with a permit.
Permits are available at the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall, 104 S. Muskogee.
Discharge of fireworks within city limits will be allowed from noon to 11 p.m. on Tuesday through Thursday provided the following conditions are met:
• Only an adult person over the age of 18 can obtain a permit from the City of Claremore at a cost of $25.
• Permits are available for the use of Class C fireworks only.
• Possession of any fireworks under the age of 18 years is considered unlawful within the city limits, unless under the immediate and direct supervision of a parent, guardian or other responsible adult in possession of a current permit.
• The adult permit holder in charge of the use must be physically present and within 100 feet of the point of display for any household member to use the fireworks.
• The permit must be at the location listed on the permit during the discharge of the fireworks and available for examination by any public safety officer.
• Violation of City Ordinance includes any use of fireworks between the hours of 11 p.m. and 12 p.m. Violators will be punished upon conviction with a fine of $200 plus costs.
• Fireworks must be discharged on a non-combustible surface of sufficient size to contain the entire ground portion of the display and not closer than 25 feet from any permanent structure.
• Private persons may not use or discharge fireworks on any public property, street or easement unless approved by the City of Claremore’s Special Events Committee.
• Permit holder must have an extinguishment device (water or fire extinguisher) available at the site of fireworks discharge.
• Permit holder is responsible for cleaning up any debris caused by any person discharging fireworks at the location listed on the permit.
• Permit holder is responsible for damage or injury to other persons or property resulting from fireworks use.