Claremore Daily Progress

January 10, 2014

Fire causes minimal damage to Weld Shop

No injuries reported

Mark Friedel
Staff Writer


Claremore firefighters responded to a structure fire Wednesday night at the Weld Shop at 725 N. J.M. Davis Blvd.
Smoke from the fire was reported around 8:20 p.m. by a Claremore patrol officer who happened to be driving by the closed business, said Fire Marshal Jason Crandall. 
Crandall said the fire seemed to have started in a plastic polycart trash can, placed inside the middle bay door.
“Firefighters arrived on scene about four or five minutes after the report was made and the trash can had been melted down to a puddle,” he said.  
Crews were able to extinguish flames at the point of ignition before major structure damage occurred. Firefighters remained on scene until just after 9 p.m. to ensure the fire was completely out. 
“If the officer had not spotted the smoke when he did, this could have developed into something much larger,” said Crandall. 
The fire caused damage to the middle wall of the shop as well as the middle bay door.
As of Thursday, Weld Shop employees squeegeed remaining water out of the shop. Owner Stacy Hinds said an insurance adjuster still needed to inspect the damaged property to make an estimate.