CLAREMORE — The Rogers County District Attorney’s office reversed its decision Tuesday, filing sexual assault and witness intimidation charges against three boys, ages 11- and 13-years-old.
The Rogers County Sheriff’s Office arrested one of the suspects approximately one month ago, however, he was released after the charges were declined. At that time the RCSO submitted a 19-page report to the DA’s office for review. The DA’s office assigned an investigator to work with the RCSO and charges were filed.
The father of the 8- and 9-year-old victims in the case went public with his criticism of District Attorney Janice Steidley after her office declined to file charges last month.
“It’s a good start. It makes me feel right, but it still doesn’t excuse their actions,” the father said. “I could not believe charges were not filed right away and wonder if the charges will stick long enough for the boys to have their day in court.”
The father spoke with several media outlets, but said he was surprised when he received a call Wednesday from Rhett Morgan, reporter for the Tulsa World.
“I did not contact the Tulsa World,” the father said.
He asked Morgan how he received his phone number. Morgan’s response was that the Rogers County District Attorney’s office had provided it to him.
The Claremore Daily Progress contacted Morgan and he confirmed the number was released to him from the DA’s office.
“That is correct and I am not able to comment,” Morgan said.
The father has contacted the Rogers County Sheriff’s office to file a complaint.
Steidley provided the following comment to the Claremore Progress on Feb. 14 before the charges were filed.
“I am bound legally to not disclose facts of a juvenile matter. The report submitted to the District Attorney’s Office has raised several questions. The District Attorney’s Office considers this case still open and in need of further investigation. A District Attorney Investigator has been assigned the case for further investigation,” Steidley said.