Claremore Daily Progress

Top Stories

February 15, 2013

DA declines to file sex abuse charges

CLAREMORE —  

A Rogers County father is waiting for District Attorney Janice Steidley to make good on her promise of justice Thursday.
The father recently made public statements against the DA’s office after they refused to press charges against a 13-year-old boy for sexually abusing his daughters.
Angered by this decision, the father contacted several local media outlets including the Claremore Daily Progress.
However, after meeting with the DA Thursday, the father has agreed to keep his criticism quiet as he waits for Steidley to take action.
“The District Attorney has asked that I refrain from speaking to the media,” he said. “I will let you know if they [District Attorney’s Office] do not do what they have promised.”
The 13-year-old boy was arrested earlier this month but was never formally charged for the crimes. 
Earlier this week the dad released several statements, saying he was outraged because he was told the sexual acts were “voluntary,” so it’s not a criminal issue.
He’s also learned the sexual abuse involves not one, but both of his daughters.
“My whole world is upside down. I mean, my wife is to the point that she doesn’t even want to stay at our home, because of the backlash we might get towards our daughters if they release the young man,” he said.
The victim’s mother witnessed the sex act between the boy and the 8-year-old daughter.
Both girls underwent an exam to identify other abuse. 
The exams showed the abuse has happened before.
The father said that the District Attorney’s Office told him that his daughter was capable of giving consent to the boy.
Now Steidley is calling that a mistake, he added.
The Rogers County Sheriff’s Office put together a 19-page report, involving forensic interviews and handed it over to the District Attorney.

Text Only
Top Stories