The man accused of kidnapping Garth Brooks’ ex-wife made a court appearance Wednesday and is due back in court next month.

Quintine Harper, 28, was charged with kidnapping for extortion in April after he allegedly held Sandy Brooks at gunpoint and forced her to drive him off the property. He is being held in the Rogers County Jail in lieu of a $1 million bond.

National news reporters and magazines have been seeking an interview with Harper, and have even given offers of $1,000 and $2,000 for intimate details of the relationship between Harper and Brooks.

Harper was being sought on Monday, April 3, by bondsmen for failure to appear on an embezzlement cast in Tulsa County. Brooks made the call to the bondsmen letting them know Harper was on her property, located on Keetonville Road west of Claremore.

Before bondsmen arrived at Brooks’ home, reports state that Harper found out she had made the call, then held her at gunpoint with a semi-automatic pistol and forced her to drive him off the property. Rogers County Deputy Greg Dooley’s report indicated Harper’s intent was to have Brooks drive to a bank and withdraw approximately $16,000 to pay his bond.

Brooks told officials that Harper said if she did not help him get away from the bondsmen, she would never see her children again.

Brooks drove Harper to Highway 20, then six miles west on 20, just west of the Tulsa County line at 145th Street. That’s when reports state Brooks put on the brakes, jumped out of the car and ran into a QuikTrip store on the south side of the highway.

Harper fled on foot north and bondsmen pursued. Undersheriff Barry Lamb previously reported that one of the bondsmen fired a “noise maker shot” during the pursuit. While chasing Harper, bondsmen dialed 911 and authorities from Rogers County Sheriff’s Office, Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office and the Owasso Police Department assisted in the apprehension of Harper, who was arrested on the outstanding Tulsa County arrest warrant.

In her own handwriting on an application for a protective order just days after the alleged kidnapping, Brooks wrote, “On Sunday, April 2, 2006, he held me against my will not letting me leave. He said my kids won’t see me again. This Monday, held gun on me forcing me to drive away from a bail bondsman.”

In addition, the petition required Brooks to state her relationship to Harper, to which she checked a box preceding a sentence reading, “persons in a dating relationship.”

The protective order was granted by now Associate District Judge Sheila Condren in April.

On May 26, the embezzlement charge against Harper was dropped by the state due to the failure of a prosecution witness to appear in court.

Harper is due back in Rogers County Associate District Court for a preliminary hearing sounding docket on July 7.

This Week's Circulars