The year started off with a hammer instead of a bang in downtown Claremore.

On New Year’s Day, members of the Claremore Main Street Facade Squad showed up in force to assist new property owners, Martin and Nancy James, with their efforts to begin the facade renovation of their building located at 410 W. Will Rogers Blvd.

Renovation plans include the removal of cream colored tiles that are not historic to the property, repair of the underlying fabric, then a layer of smooth stucco overlay to the ground floor. Future renovations to the facade will include removal of the metal window covers on the second floor.

The building was built between 1904 and 1907. The west side was originally a dry goods and millinery store and the east housed a pool hall. The second floor served as a hotel, the Capital Hotel in 1911 and later the Mitchell Hotel in 1916. Locally it is perhaps more noted as the home of Haddad’s, a popular variety store that was in business for many years.

The James family moved to Claremore in January 2006 and purchased the property last month. Their new business venture, Completely Country Home Décor and Antiques will open sometime in February. The store will house the folk art and country themed home furnishings that has been for sale through Nancy’s five-year-old Internet business.

“We are excited to have a brick and mortar storefront for our internet business,” said Martin. “Historic downtown Claremore is an up and coming shopping location and we are proud to be part of it.”