It took a Rogers County Sheriff deputy and his wife five days and at least $3,000 in travel expenses to bring convicted embezzler Cynthia Izon, 44, back from Alaska on a order to return her to prison.

But, Izon did not go back to prison. Instead, Judge Dwayne Steidley released the woman from Rogers County Jail Friday, upholding his October 2007 ruling reducing her prison sentence to 10 years and freeing her on probation.

Izon was found guilty by jury in 2006 on one of count of embezzling from the Barbie Doll Club of Northeastern Oklahoma. She was club treasurer at the time of the crime.

Following the 2006 conviction, Judge Dynda Post gave Izon a 40-year prison sentence with 25 years suspended.

At an October 2007 judicial review, Steidley ruled that the 40-year prison sentence handed down by Post was excessive. According to state statutes the maximum sentence should not have exceeded 10 years.

Izon’s sentence was reduced to the maximum 10 years in prison with credit for time served and the remainder suspended. She had served 16 months before the sentence was reviewed and modified.

However, a December 2007 ruling by the Court of Criminal Appeals set aside Steidley’s October 2007 ruling on a technicality, ordering Izon back to prison because her sentence and modification hearing did not occur within the 12-month time frame allowed by judicial review. The appellate court, however, did agree with Steidley’s reduction of the 40-year sentence.

On January 16, in light of the December appeals court ruling, a warrant for Izon (listing all four counts of embezzlement) was issued. At that time, Claremore Police Investigator John Singer said he contacted authorities in Anchorage, Alaska, where Izon was residing with her father.

Izon was taken into custody by Alaskan authorities on Jan. 25.

Rogers County Deputy Greg Evans and his wife, Glenda, also a Rogers County reserve deputy, traveled by air to Anchorage, on Feb. 13, to retrieve Izon. The defendant was returned to Rogers County Jail on Monday, Feb. 18.

In the meantime, Izon’s attorney Greg Laird filed a motion to once again suspend her sentence. It was on that motion that Izon found herself in Steidley’s courtroom Friday.

Subsequently, Steidley reiterated his earlier judgment and once again suspended the remainder of Izon’s 10-year prison sentence and freed her on probation.

After hearing testimony from Izon concerning her present financial status, Steidley ordered restitution payments of $375 per month for six months, at which time the court will again review her financial status and adjust payments accordingly. Izon owes $81,000 in restitution to be paid to the Akdar Shrine who was to be the recipient of the funds. The funds Izon was accused of embezzling were netted from a national Barbie Doll conference held by the club in Tulsa and were to benefit the Shrine.

In addition, Steidley modified the amount of interest attached to the restitution. In 2006 when Izon was initially sentenced, Post ordered 12 percent interest. Steidley modified that percentage to the statutory amount. That amount, as set forth by statute, “shall be the prime rate, as listed in the first edition of the Wall Street Journal published for each calendar year and as certified to the Administrative Director of the Courts by the State Treasurer on the first regular business day following publication in January of each year, plus two percent (2%).”

Izon will be on unsupervised probation for the remainder of her suspended sentence, which will allow her to return to Alaska where she will live and be employed at her father’s construction supply company. While on probation, Izon is to provide a monthly written report to her attorney Greg Laird which will include where she is living, where she is working, any significant change in her income or expenses, what has become of her criminal case in Colorado, any problems with law enforcement, statement of any violation of her rules and conditions of unsupervised probation, and report how much she has paid toward her fines and costs. Those monthly reports will be distributed to the court and district attorney’s office.

Sheriff Jerry Prather said he was surprised to learn that Izon had been released.

“We went all the way up there and got her and brought her back, and they are just going to let her go,” Prather said.

Authorities said Friday they plan to recoup the costs associated with the trip to Alaska by adding the expenses to Izon’s court costs and fines. However, Izon’s attorney said he was not aware of that statement, and it was not included in Steidley’s ruling.

A purchase order submitted by Deputy Evans lists $944.41 in food, lodging and vehicle expenses for the trip. Glenda Evans accompanied her husband because, Sheriff Office officials, said a female officer had to be present in order to take Izon into custody.

Some of the receipts turned in as expenses for the trip included $380 for a “king w/view” room at the Ramada Inn for four nights (state rates); $282.67 for the rental of a Dodge Caliber for four days; $40.41, $46.80, $48.87 for three dinners for two which included calamari, grilled salmon ($23.95), salmon dumpling ($24.99); and a receipt for $5.78 for beverages at Starbucks coffee at Ted Stevens International Airport on the return flight.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the plane tickets for the trip totaled approximately $2,075.

Izon still faces criminal charges in Colorado, where she is charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors and cultivating marijuana in Jefferson County, Colorado, where she resided some time following her initial arrest in Rogers County.

According to court documents, a teenager who claimed she had been raped at Izon’s Colorado home stated Izon was allegedly growing marijuana in her home and teenagers were allegedly allowed to partake in smoking marijuana while at Izon’s home.

Izon was first arrested in Rogers County Feb. 9, 2006.

She has a March 10 court date on the Colorado charges.

When was released from Oklahoma prison in October, Izon said she made an appearance in Jefferson County, Colorado, court and was allowed to make her home in Anchorage, Alaska, on the condition she reside with her father.