PUBLISHED IN THE CLAREMORE DAILY PROGRESS, CLAREMORE, OKLA., AUGUST 27, 2006.
ORDINANCE NO. 2006-14
AN ORDINANCE CREATING ARCHITECTURAL STANDARDS AND GUIDELINES FOR BUILDINGS OF METAL CLAD CONSTRUCTION, REPEALING ALL ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT HEREWITH, PROVIDING FOR SEPARABILITY.
WHEREAS, the appearance of properties located within the City of Claremore, Oklahoma has a direct impact upon the value and appearance of both commercial and residential property in Claremore. The intent and purpose of this Ordinance are as follows:
1. To be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan to include design performance guidelines to insure compatibility and appropriate commercial and residential zones;
2. To maintain and enhance attractiveness of the streetscape and existing architecture in the community;
3. To create and maintain a strong community image and identify by providing for architectural treatments that enhance the visual experience of commercial development within Claremore, and;
4. To require articulation that reduces the mass/scale and uniform appearance of large commercial buildings, and insure that commercial buildings and projects incorporate architectural features that provide visual interest, while allowing design flexibility.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT ORDAINED BY THE MAYOR AND THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CLAREMORE, OKLAHOMA THAT,
1. The minimum facade requirements for newly constructed or renovated metal clad buildings located within the City of Claremore and utilized for commercial or residential purpose hereafter include the requirement that the primary (50% or more) building material for all facades shall be brick, natural or cut stone, pre cast concrete, on site tilt up panels, or any materials with stucco-type finish or a masonry material.
2. In addition to the use of wall materials; the use of screening fences, landscaping, signage and other amenities should be used to increase compatibility of the building to the adjacent neighborhood.
3. All other ordinances or parts of ordinances inconsistent with the provisions of this ordinance are hereby repealed.
4. If any provisions of this ordinance are declared unconstitutional or the applicability thereof to any person or circumstances held invalid, the constitutionality of the remainder of the Ordinance and the applicability thereof to other persons and circumstances shall not be affected thereby.
5. It being necessary for the preservation of the peace, health, safety and public welfare of the citizens of the City of Claremore, Oklahoma, an emergency is hereby declared to exist by reason whereof this Ordinance shall become effective immediately upon its passage and publication.
PASSED AND APPROVED in regular session this 21st day of August, 2006.
s/ Brant Shallenburger
Mayor Brant Shallenburger
s/ Nan Pope