SKIATOOK — Question. What makes this sound. Chip, chip, chip, bang!

Answer. It’s the Oologah Mustangs’ offense.

Coach Brandon Craig and his team mixed a bundle of small gains with electrifying major bursts to hold off Skiatook 35-16 Friday night at Hap Dunlap Field.

Quarterback Chance Dietz ran for 139 yards and threw for 108 more in leading the Mustangs to an even 400 yards in total offense.

Gunter Pearson bulled for 85 yards on the ground and three touchdowns In Oologah’s second victory of the season.

The Mustangs were forced to withstand the slashing runs of the Bulldogs’ T.K. Wilkerson, who picked up 165 yards on 21 carries, and a second-half rally by the home team.

Oologah maneuvered 70 yards in eight plays following the second half kickoff to lead 28-3.

Deitz rambled to the Skiatook one and fumbled, but Bryce Perritt recovered for the Mustangs. Pearson plunged the final yard with 9:45 left in the third period.

Skiatook quickly answered, scoring on quarterback Cody Evans’ one-yard sneak.

Following an Oologah fumble at its own 19 and a pair of offside penalties against the Mustangs, the Bulldogs came within 28-16 when Wilkerson battled into the end zone from three yards out.

Oologah put the game away midway through the final period, taking advantage of a home team turnover. Evans served up an interception to linebacker Pearson at the Buldogs’ two and Pearson scored on the next play from scrimmage, sealing the victory.

Derek Eckenfels booted a 32-yard field goal on the final play of the first half to get Skiatook on the scoreboard. Oologah dominated the half offensively, piling up 218 yards with Dietz running for 67 and completing 4-of-5 passes for 91.

Dietz engineered a 90-yard, nine-play drive, keeping around right end for a 50-yard touchdown run with 1:20 remaining in the half. Sophomore Mason Powell kicked his third conversion of the half to make it 21-0.

With Pearson providing the running and Cole Dunbar the catching, the Mustangs covered 80 yards on seven snaps to open a 14-0 spread earlier in the second period. The key play was a 49-yard play action pass from Dietz to Dunbar reaching the Bulldogs’ 19.

Oologah needed five plays to punch it home.

Pearson carried on the final three plays, scoring through the middle from the two.

A Skiatook turnover set up the Mustangs’ first score. Jayden Garner fumbled for a six-yard loss back to his own 27 and Oologah took advantage on the next play.

Dietz located Dunbar and he hauled in the ball over D-back Johnathan Martin near the goal line. The visitors led 7-0 with 2:49 to go in the opening quarter.

The Bulldogs reached Oologah’s 32 yard line on the first play of the second period and settled for a 49-yard field goal try by Eckenfels.

The ball fell short in the end zone.

Late in the second quarter, Skiatook advanced to the 10, but Oologah lineman Chase Vance sacked Evans for a five-yard loss.

This Week's Circulars