TULSA — Given a reprieve because of a penalty, Loyd Barnes kicked a 20-yard field goal with 19 seconds left Friday night to jerk Tulsa Rogers past the Claremore Zebras, 31-28, in a District 5A-4 high school football game.

It was a dramatic finish on a festive Homecoming night at Milton Stadium on the campus of Webster High School.

Barnes first attempted a 25-yard field goal, but it was wide right with 23 seconds remaining, and with the score tied, the game appeared destined for overtime.

However, a flag against Claremore for running into the kicker gave Barnes a second chance from five yards closer.

He made the Zebras pay dearly.

Kyle Johnson, who threw a pair of touchdown passes, gave Rogers a 28-21 lead when he sneaked in from a yard with 8:53 left.

The Zebras marched right back and tied it four minutes later when Blake Grauer tossed an 18-yard TD aerial to Chris Bottoms on a fourth-and-four play.

The Ropers improve to 5-2 overall and 3-1 in District 5A-4. The Zebras drop to 1-6 and 1-3.

Claremore was without head coach Keith Bell who has been in Topeka, Kan., since Tuesday when his 16-year-old son, Thomas, underwent surgery for what has been described as a football-related injury.

Thomas Bell was in the intensive care unit of a Topeka hospital at the beginning of the weekend.

Johnson, the Rogers quarterback, passed for 212 yards, and added two rushing scores to his pair of TD throws.

Jarvis Mabry caught seven of those passes for 192 yards and had both touchdown receptions.

Timmy Butcher finished with 192 yards on 32 carries and had three touchdowns for the Zebras.

One play before Johnson scored from the one, he connected with Mabry on a pass play covering 70 yards.

The Ropers had just 21 yards of total offense and no first downs in the second half prior to that long pass.

Lamar Norman, however, had several key runs as Rogers moved to the Zebra three-yard-line with about a minute left.

The Claremore defense stiffened and pushed the Ropers back to the eight.

Rogers sent in Barnes.

Johnson threw a 22-yard TD pass to Mabry midway through the first quarter and then scored on a two-yard keeper early in the second period to stake Rogers to a 13-0 advantage.

Butcher countered as he scored on runs of 12 and 3 yards in a span of five minutes in the second quarter.

His second TD run gave Claremore a 14-13 lead with three minutes left in the first half.

Johnson and Mabry hooked up again on a three-yard connection to put the Ropers back on top, 21-14, with just 57 seconds remaining in the half.

Butcher tied the game once again, at 21, when he scored from two yards out at 7:51 of the third period.

That set the stage for the Barnes fireworks in the hectic final minute.


Claremore 0 14 7 7 — 28

Rogers 7 14 0 10 — 31

Rogers — Mabry 22 pass from Johnson (Barnes kick)

Rogers — Johnson 2 run (kick failed)

Claremore — Butcher 12 run (Jefferis kick)

Claremore — Butcher 3 run (Jefferis kick)

Rogers — Mabry 3 pass from Johnson (Ray pass from Johnson)

Claremore — Butcher 2 run (Jefferis kick)

Rogers — Johnson 1 run (Barnes kick)

Claremore — Bottoms 18 pass from Grauer (Jefferis kick)

Rogers — FG, Barnes 20

Individual Statistics


Rushing — Butcher 32-192, 3TD; Irvin 7-79; Grauer 7-17; Bickell 4-(-2).

Passing — Grauer 12-21-150, TD .

Receiving — Buck 4-66; Irvin 5-49; Bottoms 1-18, TD; Foster 2-17.


Rushing — Norman 29-119; Johnson 5-1, 2TD, Moment 1-1.

Passing — Johnson 9-22-212, 2 TD.

Receiving — Mabry 7-192, 2TD; Brantley 2-20.

This Week's Circulars