CLAREMORE, Okla. – Sophomore Jordan Watson scored in the final minutes to give the Rogers State men's soccer team a 3-2 comeback victory over UT Permian Basin on Saturday (Sept. 16) at Soldier Field. With the win, the Hillcats moved to 5-1 and a perfect 2-0 in the Heartland Conference.

Watson fired a strike from 30 yards out that found the back of the net as he beat the UTPB goalkeeper low to the near post in the 88th minute for a 3-2 advantage.

RSU tied the score six minutes earlier when junior Jake Simpson knocked in a one-touch shot in front in the 82nd minute off a cross from Abe Young, who got the assist.

The Falcons held a 2-1 lead with only 10 minutes remaining after scoring two goals in less than two minutes during the first half. After an RSU goal in the 25th minute, UTPB tallied back-to-back goals in the 26th and 28th minutes to go in front 2-1.

Kevin Kwarteng totaled the first goal of the game in the 25th minute to put the Cats up 1-0. He scored on a shot to the near post from the left side of the box with the assist to Watson.

The goal started off a frantic stretch of goals as the two teams tallied three goals in less than two and a half minutes. UTPB evened the score at 1-1 with a goal from Jorge Murillo in the 26th minute, and the Falcons took the lead, 2-1, in the 28th minute as Brandon Lee scored on a rebound in front.

On a windy day, the team going with the wind had the advantage. Four of the five goals in the game were scored with the wind. For the game, the two teams played fairly even with the Falcons holding a slight 21-19 advantage in shots, including 9-8 in shots on target.

Senior goalkeeper Cody Gammill went the full 90 minutes in goal, totaling a season-high seven saves. The Frisco, Texas native moved to 3-0 on the season.

The Hillcats (5-1, 2-0 Heartland) now go on the road for four straight games

starting at top 10 Midwestern State on Thursday (Sept. 21) at 7 p.m. in Wichita Falls, Texas.

For more information on RSU soccer, go to

This Week's Circulars