TAHLEQUAH — “I think if our girls are playing well together and we’re hustling up and down the floor,” he said, “I think we can play with anybody.”
As for the Tahlequah boys, they will play in the Coweta Regional on Feb. 22. The Tigers will take on 5A No. 14 Chickasha in the first round, while Coweta will play Grove.
“I like where we ended up,” Tahlequah coach Mike Leafgreen said. “...Chickasha is probably most similar to Skiatook out of the teams we play. They have good guards and can really shoot it.”
The bad news for the Tigers: they’ve lost twice to Skiatook this season — both by narrow margins, though.
Currently on a two-game winning streak, Tahlequah hasn’t looked anything like its 7-13 record since leaving the John Nobles Invitational in Moore.
“Our team has definitely come together at the right time,” Leafgreen said. “Hopefully we can finish these last three [regular-season] games the right way and get better the next two weeks in preparation for regionals.”
Class 5A regional pairings
(Hosting team listed first)
- East Central, Durant, Grove, McAlester
- Bishop Kelley, Noble, Collinsville, Skiatook
- Tahlequah, Coweta, Guthrie, Chickasha
- Edison, Pryor, Claremore, Memorial
- Shawnee, Capitol Hill, El Reno, Bishop McGuinness
- Piedmont, Duncan, Lawton MacArthur, Guymon
- Carl Albert, Southeast, Del City, Altus
- Deer Creek, Western Heights, NW Classen, Ardmore
- Memorial, Claremore, Pryor, Skiatook
- Bishop Kelley, McAlester, Noble, Durant
- Coweta, Grove, Tahlequah, Chickasha
- Edison, Collinsville, Guthrie, East Central
- Bishop McGuinness, Guymon, El Reno, Western Heights
- Lawton MacArthur, Altus, Piedmont, Ardmore
- Carl Albert, Duncan, Del City, Shawnee
- Southeast, NW Classen, Capitol Hill, Deer Creek