CNHI News Services
The Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association voted and allowed Brent Scott back into the coaching circles in Oklahoma high school football on Wednesday. The governing body of high school sports in this state reinstated Scott, lifting his one-year ban from coaching high school football.
Scott celebrated by watching the Disney Channel at home with his child.
“I’m just glad to have it behind me,” Scott said when reached by phone by the Tahlequah Daily Press. “I knew it was today but I didn’t know what the result was.”
Scott, who was the head coach at Sequoyah for nine years, was suspended by the OSSAA in late October of 2012, after the association discovered Sequoyah had violated summer camp policies prior to the start of the 2012 campaign. Scott was dealt a one-year ban from coaching anywhere in Oklahoma, and Sequoyah had to forfeit all nine of its victories and its District 3A-7 championship last season.
“It’s been tough,” Scott said of his absence from coaching. “It’s been difficult to not be a part of it. It’s also tough when you don’t get to be a part of program that you helped build.”
Prior to forfeiting victories last year, Scott’s record at Sequoyah was 76-23. The Indians were 7-1 overall and 4-0 in district play at the time of Scott’s suspension. Sequoyah finished the year 9-1 and 6-0 but were forced to vacant those wins.
Scott, who lives in Tulsa, said he’s eager to join a coaching staff in the near future and get back to work.
“There were some people that were waiting on the verdict, as well,” Scott said. “People were interested in hiring me but I couldn’t, obviously. Now I can tell them I’m ready to go.”
When asked where he might end up at, Scott refused to give any specifics. But he said he’s hoping to be coaching again by the time the calendar flips to a new year.
“I hope to be started by January when the semester starts,” he said. “And then we’ll go from there.”