CLAREMORE — The 2017-18 first home date of the Claremore High School basketball season came off with flying success as the Zebras and Lady Zebras each rolled past Glenpool Friday night.

It was a case of the Claremore girls hanging “half-a-hundred” on their guests. It was the old Barry Switzer-OU Sooner football days that phrase meant scoring 50 points. No big deal in basketball, maybe, but in this case the Lady Zebras scored 50 more points than their foes could manage.

The Claremore Lady Zebras coasted to a 71-21 win to improve to 2-0.

For the boys it was a little more complicated. Layton Hartloff scored 18 first half points and Matt Wofford added 13 after the break. Together they totaled 42 during a 56-45 victory.

Claremore, defending Class 5A state runner-up, is 1-1 following the season’s first week of play.

Claremore girls 71, Glenpool 21 — It was a mismatch from the opening tip. Lauren Hardage wasn’t even challenged on the jump and the Lady Zebras quickly was out front 6-0 with baskets from Breanna Farmer, Emily Heard and Hardage.

Glenpool answered with four straight, but first-year coach Whitney Jones’ club answered with a 9-0 run. It was off to the races from then on. Holding the opponent to one free throw the remainder the first quarter, Claremore was on top 22-5 when the buzzer sounded.

Any comeback hopes by the visitors never developed in the second period. Claremore’s defense permitted a single 2-point basket. Sophomore Hailey Grant came off the Claremore bench and caused instant defensive roadblocks for the visitors.

Coach Jones, still learning the talents of her players and mixing returning veterans with newcomers, kept a steady flow of them on to and off the court. Ten different Zebras saw playing time and each one scored.

Heard led all scorers with 14 points. She was followed closely by Farmer’s 13 and 11 by Abbey Cox.

Kyndra Whitlow topped the Lady Warriors with nine.

It was Glenpool’s second loss in two outings.

Claremore boys 56, Glenpool 45 — Claremore’s boys went on a joint 10-0 run before and following the halftime break. It erased a 23-20 deficit and produced 30-23 lead.

Not surprising, Hartloff and Wofford were the ringleaders for all the Claremore points. Once in front, with 42 seconds left in the second quarter, Claremore refused to relinquish its lead.

Glenpool continued to claw and battle. Twice in the final minute of the third quarter and once early in the fourth, the Warriors were within a regulation field goal of tying the score.

Hartloff’s flat-footed dunk a minute into the final period appeared to be the game’s decider. It started a 9-0 Claremore run and saw its lead spread out to 49-36.

The 6-7 senior Hartloff finished with a game high 23. Wofford followed with 19 and Caison Hartloff added 10.

Tony Phillips was the lone Warrior to reach double digits. He finished with 11.

This Week's Circulars