Claremore Daily Progress

State/Nation

September 26, 2013

Oklahoma Health Dept. reports 2nd W. Nile death

OKLAHOMA CITY —

The Oklahoma Health Department says a second person has died of the West Nile virus so far this year.
A spokeswoman for the agency, Christie McDonald-Hamm, said Thursday that the latest victim was a Garfield County man who was more than 80 years old. She says the man was hospitalized when he died.
The Health Department reported the first death from the mosquito-borne disease in 2013 earlier this month. The victim was an Oklahoma County woman who was 70 to 79 years old.
The agency says 29 other Oklahomans have been infected by the disease this year.
The virus was first recorded in Oklahoma in 2002, when 15 cases were confirmed. It reached a record high for the state last year, when 178 cases were confirmed and 15 people died.

1
Text Only
State/Nation