Now that Christmas has come to an end, we’re all swimming in holiday garbage.
Packages that were previously tied up with bows have been destroyed and left scattered throughout the house. We’ve rung in the new year and now comes the daunting task of cleaning up the Christmas mess.
To help out, the city of Claremore is offering a free pick-up service for Christmas trees.
Here’s what they said residents need to know:
• Call 918-341-1325 ext. 286 by Jan. 8, no later than 3:30 p.m.
• Be prepared to leave your address for pick-up service. If no one answers the phone, please leave your information on voicemail.
• Your tree will only be picked up if we have received your address by Jan. 8 at 3:30 p.m.
• Have your tree by the curb no later than 7 a.m. Friday, Jan. 10.
• Artificial trees will not be picked up.
Claremore Recycling Center,the Metropolitan Environmental Trust, offered some tips on what holiday decor can be recycled.
They said only plain wrapping paper, nothing glittery or metallic, can be recycled. Christmas cards, excluding shiny photo-paper cards, and cardboard boxes are safe to recycle. Batteries, Christmas lights and electronics under 50 pounds are all safe to recycle.
They said items on the bad list include: bows and ribbons, gift bags, bulbs and ornaments, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts.