Mark Thomas Buchanan, a former Claremore Sequoyah middle school choir director, accepted a plea agreement Thursday with the district attorney and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Buchanan pleaded guilty to four counts of second-degree rape, two counts of sodomy and one count of indecent exposure.
“Mrs. Buchanan told us that her husband had confessed to her about an inappropriate relationship with a student (a minor) after the girl had told him she might be pregnant,” Rogers County Public Information Officer Jerry Smittle reported in 2012. Buchanan had sex with the student in a closet attached to the choir room on four separate occasions, according to court documents.
Buchanan was given 15 years for the second-degree rape charges and 10 years for sodomy and indecent exposure, according to court minutes listed at www.oscn.net.
Sodomy and indecent exposure are 85 percent crimes, however the 10-year sentence is suspended and runs concurrent with the rape charges limiting actual time to be served, according to court records.
Buchanan will be required to register as a Level 3 sex offender, a lifetime registration, after being released.
- City approves electric updates
- Search for mysterious teacher
- Vaccine available by appointment
- BASKETBALL: Catoosa Port City Classic brackets set
- Meggie Froman-Knight named new executive director of CIEDA
- BASKETBALL: Pryor Invitational Tournament brackets updated
- Cherokee Nation enters Phase 2A distribution
- Oklahomans needing driver's license could have two-month wait
- Walton shares 2021 goals
- ALDI expects to open this summer