The man who brutally attacked

two Chelseans Monday evening was arrested earlier today near the Oklahoma/Texas border and arrived at the Rogers County Jail around 11 a.m.

Steven Pierce was on the run for about two and a half days before

turning himself in to U.S. Marshals in Boswell at 7:51 a.m. today. Boswell is located in Choctaw County near Durant.

Details as of press time Thursday were sketchy, but authorities are saying Pierce’s location was tracked through a GPS system. It is not known who, if anyone, Pierce is acquainted with in the southern Oklahoma town.

Just after 5 p.m. Monday, Chelsea Family Pharmacy owner and pharmacist Chad Jones and employee Channing Stephenson, 19, were attacked by Pierce who was wielding a hammer and demanding hydrocodone and oxycontin pills. Once Pierce obtain the drugs and took an unknown amount of cash from the store’s register, he ordered Jones and Stephenson to lay on the floor, face down, and then hit both of them several times in the back of the head, leaving them severely injured.

Pierce fled the scene immediately following the attack and robbery, leaving law enforcement no clues as to where he was headed.

Once his whereabouts were known, Chelsea Police Chief Kenny Kelsey and County Chief Investigator Darrin Hester notified the Choctaw County Sheriff’s Office and all three entities worked in conjunction with the U.S. Marshal Service and a special task force with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, according to Chelsea Police Commissioner Carl Carmack.

Kelsey and Hester made a trip to Boswell Wednesday afternoon, but returned to Rogers County late Wednesday night. While back, Carmack said Kelsey followed a tip to a casino in the county, where he viewed surveillance video of a person who turned out not to be Pierce.

Carmack added that Kelsey had left around 4 a.m. to return to Boswell to assist in the transport of Pierce, who is being brought back to the Rogers County Jail by Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

Jones and Stephenson were taken by helicopter to a hospital in Tulsa where Jones was said to be in good condition with head and hand injuries. Stephenson reportedly had some swelling of the brain and was rushed into surgery around 8 p.m. Monday to relieve the pressure. Carmack said Tuesday morning that she was also in good condition. Familiar with their attacker, both Jones and Stephenson identified Pierce as the man who had wounded them. Pierce had been banned from the pharmacy last month by Jones.

Formal charges against Pierce were filed Tuesday and include two counts of robbery with a weapon and two counts of assault and battery by means likely to produce death. An $800,000 bond has been ordered.

Trending Video

Recommended for you