Lady Zebras

TULSA - The Claremore Zebras closed out Class 5A-4 district soccer play with a split decision against the Tulsa Nathan Hale Rangers Friday night at the East Side Sports Complex.

The Lady Zebras won 10-0 by mercy rule, while the boys were blanked, 4-0. Claremore has its regular season finale against Coweta on Tuesday.

The first round of the playoffs will begin the following Tuesday. The Lady Zebras (7-5, 5-2) had already secured third place in the district prior to facing the Lady Rangers (0-8, 0-7).

The Zebras (5-5, 4-3) were unable to clinch a postseason spot with the loss to the Rangers (8-3, 5-2). Claremore will still get in the playoffs, though, if East Central beats Tahlequah on Monday.


The Lady Zebras had nine different goal scorers. Lilly Sweet had the first one -- a penalty kick just over two minutes into the game.

Hailey Burden got her first of two just about two minutes later. Rylye Davis converted another penalty kick in the 14th minute. Sidney Liebherr then found the back of the net five minutes after that.

Claremore didn't score again for about 15 minutes but then got goals 41 seconds apart from Leah Krueger and Zette Irwin. Hailey Braswell got the final goal of the first half with just 50 seconds left.

The Lady Zebras then needed just a little less than seven minutes of play in the second half to get their final three goals.

Cameron Glen, Reagan Smith, and Burden converted at the 35:31, 35:07, and 33:23 marks, respectively.

"I am very pleased," Claremore girls head coach Ryan Jahn said. "We are coming together as a team and doing a lot of good things."


The Rangers controlled play most of the night and had four different kids score. Things could have been even worse for the Zebras if not for the stellar play of keeper Blake Classen.

Hale finished with 19 total shots, and Classen had to make 11 saves. His first stop came on the game's first good opportunity from in close in the 12th minute.

The Rangers eventually got one in at the 18:19 mark of the first half. They had another chance off a corner kick about two minutes later, but Classen once again made another spectacular save.

Claremore's first good opportunity saw a shot from Trent Steckline sail just high and wide right in the opening minute of the second half.

Hale then converted again about 30 seconds after Steckline's chance. Luke McHugh had a decent look in the 51st minute, but it was stopped.

The Rangers scored again five minutes later. The last good opportunity for the Zebras saw a Dalton Ward free kick from about 25 yards away sail over the bar with about 11 minutes remaining.

Hale had its final goal with about four minutes left and nearly got another one, but Classen made another great stop with two minutes to play.

Recommended for you