Steve Cooper is the proud athletic director of Sequoyah. The Eagles have experienced a lot of success in recent months, and Cooper shared some of his excitement with the Progress.
1. 2020-21 has been a fairly successful year for Sequoyah athletics. How do you feel about how things are going?
Very excited about how things are going this year so far. Obviously it has been a challenge to even participate in sports, but I am proud of our student-athletes’ resilience.
2. What are you the most proud of in terms of what Sequoyah athletics has accomplished this school year?
Football team won seven in a row and played for a district championship. Softball upset Miami and Verdigris in the regional tournament. Eighth-grade football went undefeated for a second year in a row. Eight-grade volleyball went undefeated as well. Boys cross-country qualified for state as a team. Boys basketball is currently 6-2 with two tournament runner-ups. Girls basketball finished third in the Regent Prep Invitational.
3. The new Olan Graham Field House is nearing completion. How excited are you to reveal the updates?
Olan Graham Field House is 40 years old. We began an extensive renovation this summer, and we will open it Tuesday, Jan. 26. We can't wait to show off the changes.
4. How long in the making were those renovations, and what went into finally bringing them all together?
We have been thinking about what changes we could make for a few years now. Dr. Saul has been saving money, and the timing was finally right to modernize the gym.
5. What is a goal you’ve set for the athletic department in 2021?
Our goal in 2021 is to compete at a high level in all sports and continue to upgrade our facilities.
— Kevin Green