The University of Arkansas softball team rebounded from an earlier loss to post a 12-4 win over host UNLV Friday night at the season-opening Sportco Kick-Off Classic in Las Vegas.
In their second game of the day, the Razorbacks got home runs from Kasey Fagan, Amanda Geile and Clarisa Navarro. Fagan finished the game against the Rebels with two hits, three runs and five RBI. Arkansas dropped a 5-4 decision to UC Davis in its first game of the day.
GAME 1: UC Davis 5, Arkansas 4
Stephanie Canfield and Jayme Gee each tallied two hits in the team’s first game of the season. Arkansas had leads of 2-0 and 3-2 before the Aggies pulled even with a run in the top of the sixth inning and took the final lead in the seventh. The Razorbacks put together a threat in the bottom half of the inning. Navarro led things off with a walk and came around to score—cutting UC Davis’ lead to 5-4—after a pinch-hit single by Sierra Bronkey and RBI groundout off Gee’s bat but the rally ended on the team’s next at-bat.
GAME 2: Arkansas 12, UNLV 4
Holding on to an early one-run lead, the Razorbacks plated seven runs in the top half of the fourth inning to take control of the game. With three runs already across the plate, Navarro launched a two-run shot over the wall in center field and was followed by a solo home run from Geile. Fagan added a three-run home run in the top of the fifth to give the Razorbacks a 12-2 lead on the scoreboard. The Rebels tacked on two runs but Arkansas closed out the game in five innings.
From Head Coach Mike Larabee
“We had a meeting with the team last night and said there would be some bumps in the road at times and how you have to persevere. Unfortunately, that bump came early in the season opener. We had a lot of opportunities but left 11 (runners) on base. I’m glad we got to play again right away and put together a pretty good game. You hate to lose that first game but I liked the way our team bounced back and took care of business in that second game.”
• Devon Wallace totaled four walks on the day to push her career total to 136, stalking the SEC career record of 184.
• Four Razorback seniors—Amanda Geile, Clarisa Navarro, Chloe Oprzedek and Jennifer Rambo—are tied for eighth place on the program’s career list with 16 home runs.
• Kasey Fagan total three hits, four runs scored and six RBI in her debut day in Cardinal and White.
• Four Razorback freshmen—Jessica “Reggie” Harrison, Shelby Hiers, Grace Moll and Parker Pocklington—made their collegiate debuts Friday.
• Reigning NCAA on-base percentage leader Devon Wallace reached base in all four plate appearances—three walks, one single—against UC Davis.