TULSA, Okla. (AP) — Luke Skipper threw two touchdowns and ran for another as Tulsa opened the season with a 38-27 victory over Central Arkansas on Saturday night.
It had been a see-saw affair until a fumble on the kickoff resulted in a Tulsa touchdown two plays later to give the Golden Hurricane a double-digit lead. Cedric Battle failed to pull in the kick off and Bryson Powers recovered for Tulsa. Shamari Brooks, who finished with 129 yards on 27 carries, charged in from the 1 with 7:36 remaining to secure the win. Skipper had just hit Cole Neph on a 14-yard scoring strike to retake the lead.
Tulsa won just two games last year -- and struggled in the opener -- falling behind 13-7 early and 27-24 in the final quarter. The Golden Hurricanes kept Central Arkansas off the board for the final 11 minutes.
Corey Taylor II rushed for 110 yards to give Tulsa two runners over the century mark.
UCA's Breylin Smith threw for 165 yards.
TULSA (1-0, 0-0 The American) vs. TEXAS (0-1, 0-0 Big 12)
Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018 • 7 pm (CT)
At Texas Memorial Stadium
TV: Longhorn Network
Radio: Big Country 99.5 FM
THE STORYLINES . . .
• Both schools have played football for more than 115 years … Tulsa is in its 119th season of football, while Texas is in its 126th season.
• Tulsa, a private institution, has the smallest FBS enrollment with 3,343 students, while Texas has an enrollment of 51,331 to rank among the top-10 largest public universities.
• Tulsa is coming off of 38-27 home win over UCA last Saturday, while Texas fell on the road to Maryland 34-29.
• Tulsa head coach Philip Montgomery and Texas' Tom Herman received their first collegiate head coaching job the same year in 2015 and in the same conference, the American Athletic Conference … Montgomery at Tulsa and Herman at Houston.
• The state of Texas is represented the most on the Tulsa football roster with 57 of Tulsa's full roster of 114 players. Oklahoma is next with 40 players.